Test results can take up to 7-10 days to come back from the Laboratory. Since our telephone lines are busy in the Morning we ask you to telephone after 2.00pm for any enquiries regarding e.g. smear or blood, xray etc.
To ensure confidentiality we only release results to the patient, unless alternative arrangements agreed in writtng. You can see your results online if you request access to SystmOnline. Please get in touch with us to request access to this.
Frequently asked questions regarding tests:
When will my results come back?
Most routine blood test will take 72hrs. The following Blood tests will take longer:
- Diabetes blood test (Hba1c) – 1 week
- Rheumatoid Arthritis blood test – 1 week
- Coeliac blood test (endomyssial antibody) – 2 weeks
- Vitamin D blood test – 3 weeks
Other tests will take:
|TEST||Time for Result|
|Chest xray||10 days|
|Ultrasound scan||10 days|
|Helicobacter breath test||1 week|
|Urine sample||1 week|
|Sputum sample||1 week|
|Stool sample||1 week|
|Skin scraping||Up to 3 months|
|Nail clippings||Up to 3 months|
|Vaginal swab test||Up to 2 week|
|Smear test||Up to 2 weeks|
|24 hour Blood Pressure monitor||3 days|
|Home Blood pressure||3 days|
How can I get my Test Results?
You can get your test results by having access to Systm online or the NHS App with health records access you can view any test results
Why have I been asked to have a repeat test?
If a doctor asks you to have a repeat test it is usually because:
- The result was borderline or equivacal – so the doctor wants another sample to monitor the situation or to re-check
- The result is abnormal – and the doctor is unable to interpret the result without further tests so has asked you to come in for more testing.
Please do not worry if the doctor has asked you for a repeat test, if there is a serious problem then the Doctor will speak to or request to see you directly.